Monday, March 15, 2010

Heather

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
As I write this month’s Lingo entry, I’m listening to today’s snow drip from Grandma’s roof. And we thought it was spring here in Utah … Surprise! Maybe this is Winter’s last Big Hurrah before ending… (to make up for the lack of snowstorms this year, I guess.)
I’ve become a music teacher! Mitchell and Alyssa are my ‘guinea pigs’ as I learn how to teach piano. So far, they’ve been patient with me, and they’re doing well. (two lessons so far: quarter notes and half notes) I also do ‘singing time’ with two little girls in my ward. Their mom called one day out of the blue, and said her girls love to sing but she can’t carry a tune. So I go over once a week and sing with them. I pulled out song cards, books, and props that I used for several years as a preschool teacher. It has been fun! (and a good way to earn a little extra money)
I enjoy the bookclub I’ve been a part of for several months. Last month, we read the play “An Ideal Husband” by Oscar Wilde. I haven’t read a play since High School, so that was a good mental exercise for me. Ariane and I went to see the play “The Importance of Being Earnest” at Hale Center Theater the week before bookclub met. It was fun to compare two plays by the same playwright. I like his comedy! This month the bookclub read a fascinating Young Adult novel called Someone Named Eva. I recommend it to all of you! It’s WWII historical fiction, but it’s a different story than I have ever heard. It isn’t about Jewish holocaust victims. It’s about a (fictional) young Czech girl from a town that Hitler completely destroyed. But, she's chosen and taken to a ‘safe’ place by the Nazis. It is based on real events the author learned about from the survivors of this event. It’s sad, but fascinating. Read it! (as a librarian, I’ll be buying it for my school – I’d say about 5th grade and up…)
I’m thinking (again) of buying a house. I know, I thought about it last year too. But this time, I actually contacted my realtor friend! So, maybe I’ll actually get a house this time. I’ll keep you posted…
Other events: **enjoyed Ariane’s theater debut: South Pacific and a one-act play her friend directed. She seemed to enjoy herself – maybe we’ll do a show together some time! **went to an Eileen Eivers concert at Kingsbury Hall. It was awesome! She was the fiddler with Riverdance back in the late 90s. I went to her concert in Logan 5 years ago and absolutely LOVED it. So, when I heard she was coming back to Utah, I decided to go again. Glad I did! (it would have been more fun to go with someone, but the two people I invited couldn’t afford it, and I couldn’t afford to pay for a date. So I went on my own, and thoroughly enjoyed it. **watched Marcus open his mission call. I’m excited (and slightly jealous) that he’ll be serving in England. I wouldn’t trade my experience as a missionary in Canada, but I admit that when I opened my own envelope I was secretly hoping for England or Ireland…
Well, I guess that’s all for this time. Happy Spring!
Love, Heather

No comments: