Monday, January 18, 2010

Heather

Happy 2010! I'm back in the swing of things after the holiday break, and very happy to have the day off on Martin Luther King Day... My job is still going well - I don't stress about teaching Math and Reading on top of my library responsibilities anymore. I just try not to complain about the time it takes away from my 'real job' as librarian. I hope I won't be teaching both again next year (It would be nice to have time to shelve, catalog, and order books again...) I enjoyed dancing with people from Indiana, Denver, and New York at the Utah Lindy Exchange this weekend. Once a year, Utah hosts a weekend LindyHop dance party, inviting dancers from all over the US. I try to attend at least one of the dances each year, and always enjoy myself. The Big Band they hired this year was FANTASTIC! Sometimes I think I might be living in the wrong decade... I enjoy hearing about Penny's missionary experiences - it helps me remember some of my own. My testimony grew so much as a missionary! I began recognizing blessings in my life and learned a lot about myself, as well as learning (and teaching others) how to find happiness through the teachings of the Savior. I can tell Penny is having similar experiences and learning moments. I sure am glad she decided to be a missionary! I just started teaching 'music lessons' to a couple little girls in my neighborhood. I was surprised about a week ago by a phone call from a neighbor, asking how much I would charge to come teach her girls to sing. After getting advice from Mom and another music teacher I know, I arranged to go to their house once a week. They're still in the 'listen, smile, and enjoy' stage and don't really sing along much, yet. (one is 4 years old, the other close to 3) So, I'll treat it like Nursery (at church) and singing time I used to do as a Preschool teacher. We'll sing the same songs each week until they start actually singing along. Then, I'll introduce new songs and maybe even concepts like rhythm, dynamics, key, etc. It should be fun! (and I'll get paid for it...) They're cute girls. Well, that's about all I have to say this time around. Love, Heather Tomlinson

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I have a good friend from LA who comes to Utah for that lindi hop competition. fun!