Dear Family,
Life is good so far in the "famous potatoes" state! We've lived here now for a couple of months – enjoying retirement! Steve's teaching me the slower pace of life that he's been used to. However, the days go by quickly. I have stuff to do every day! I have a list of projects that keep my days filled. Right now I'm working on painting a desk, chair and lamp (all white) to put in our future guest room. And I made a throw pillow and bought material ready to cover chairs.
First, however, there are things you need to do when you move, especially moving to a different state. We registered our vehicles which cost less than half that in California, AND good for two years! AND we didn't have to turn in our old plates AND we got our new plates handed to us right there, with no proof of identification. Funny thing is, the guy that was helping us used to live in Pittsburg, CA about 20 years ago. We also took our driver's license test (passed) and after three attempts, finally got an identification card for Stephanie (when you have to start from scratch it can be quite a hassle – don’t ever lose you id.)
We planted tomatoes, sweet peppers, basil and zinnias. All the lawns are green and lush-- plenty of irrigation keeps them that way. We've taken many neighborhood walks and walk by Lucy’s house daily (5 min. away). It’s so nice being neighbors with Lucy!
On Memorial Day we spent the afternoon with Lucy's extended family -- in-laws, cousins, siblings (all on Dave's side of the family). We enjoyed an outside BBQ/potluck meal and so I got to know Lucy's relatives a little better. I met most of them years ago, but they were all a lot younger and now they all have children.
The cats are fun. And sometimes don't know that they can hurt you when they’re playing. We have both been struck by sharp claws.
In June, Angela, Finn and Harper spent a week with us. We went to the zoo, the Nature Center, a few parks, and the Discovery Center. These places are all new to us too. We put a kiddie pool on the lawn for the kids to splash in. And then there's blowing bubbles for Harper. And she loves cats and loves to say "cat" "cat" cat". (The cats hid themselves almost the entire time the kids were here.) The kids are very active... they wear us out!
We watched a spectacular lightening/thunderstorm... it was awesome. Love this Idaho weather, although some days it's rather hot! I still feel like I'm on vacation – and pinch myself that I’m actually retired now! I enjoy mowing the lawn every week.
Steve and I went to a concert featuring a local band that played '50s, '60s and a little '70s music. It was great! It was at the Idaho Botannical Gardens -- a beautiful setting and the weather was perfect. It went until 9:30 and the sun was just barely starting to set. People were enjoying themselves dancing and we were amused.
I've made pizza from scratch a few times... trying to perfect the dough. I'm sure it'll take a zillion more times. Also, am trying some new recipes now that I have time to cook.
We got our plane tickets for next year to Italy (using mileage plan miles, so have to book it early!). Now I'm trying to teach myself a little Italian. As well as brush up on German - Steve has agreed to learn some German too!
Things are still slow in the building department -- we got the construction loan, but the final papers still need to be signed by the builder and approved by the City. So we just go with the flow and take one day at a time. I'm on the internet a lot looking at all kinds of things for decorating ideas, landscaping, etc.
We're totally hooked on Showtime's "Dexter" and have been watching it from Netflix - just finished Season 4.
People here are crazy about fireworks and there are fireworks that you can buy that are illegal -- it’s not illegal to buy them, just illegal if you light them…crazy, huh?
Looking forward to seeing you at the reunion.
Love, Jennifer & Steve
No comments:
Post a Comment