Monday, May 9, 2011

Grandma Martha

Dear Family,

The reason I write is to keep a family record of the goings on in our lives which if we don't write it down somewhere it is soon forgotten. Especially if you are 85.

Way back when I went on a cruise to the land of Hawaii. While there, we went to the renovated temple. It was lovely. Upon inquiry I was told that it had been completely gutted out inside and made anew. The weather while we were there was excellent and greatly appreciated as we had left a snow winter. We enjoyed the lush greenery of the botanical gardens with its large vegetation, and flowers like the variety of orchids. Every day we could take a side trip like Whale Watching, the place of refuge (I got a wheelchair ride thanks to Rick). One of the events that occurred was the announcement of the earthquake in Japan on the intercom. Our ship was taken out to sea as were all the vessels as a precautionary measure. We felt only a little movement of the ocean. As outside trips were cancelled we played scrabble in the game room of the ship. Aboard the ship (Norwegian Cruise line) we enjoyed the entertainment... like a magician, a comedian, a hula program, etc. As cruises are known for, we had plenty to eat. Heather put pictures on Facebook as you have probably already seen... she is in process of making a DVD of our trip. We also went on a traditional luau... food and entertainment.

Yesterday was Mother's Day. After church James and Lynnette got me and we went to Alan and Dorothy's for dinner and visiting. I learned that Kevin is going to the Mesa Mission on June 8... Interesting is that some of Snowflake is part of that mission. I forgot what its called but we talked to Priscilla seeing her on the screen. It reminded me of a display I saw when I was in the World's Fair in Flushing in New York in 1939. It showed someone talking on the phone and seeing them face to face while doing so.

We've had quite a winter of snow, rain, snow, rain, snow, rain on and on. I think summer is coming but spring got lost. The girls still come twice a week for clogging. I'm back to being a visiting teacher and supervisor. I've been blessed for the service of Dorothy, Emily, Janet, Lynnette, who help me to run errands. For the calls of Lucy and Jennifer. For always the help of Rick. I've had some good visits from John L., Marty, Tom.

Glad for Steve and Jennifer and the progress they have made... selling the house, moving, giving notice to a long-time job. etc.

I thank Sarah for her picture... what an adventure to have been in India and now graduating. I also thank the Troutmans for the nice family picture that arrived safely all the way from Georgia.

It was good to see Jim and Isaiah if only for a brief few hours.

I've enjoyed playing Scrabble on Facebook ... I don't know with whom I am always playing... its dark on the screen and the eyes are not always doing what I wish they would do. But... I'm not hurting. I've had more physical pain when I was 20 that when I'm 85.

I'm grateful for my many blessings to be able to still see something. I am enjoying the books on cassette and CD. I enjoy John ByTheWay.. Brad Wilcox, Women's conference tapes.

The yard work is getting tough... sad to see the roses going down hill... but that's life. Sorry that your birthdays often whizz right by me... love you all. Grandma Martha.

No comments: