I just re-started school after a 3 year hiatus. It's a pleasure to be at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Mostly, I think, because I'm in the frame of mind to be here. Namely, I am not in a hellish personal state. My readiness to be in school is even better because I really know what I am doing this time, and I have so many other aspects of my life well established. This is not to say that school is easy or without stress, but I am realizing that I really can handle it, and I will be able to handle more and more because of my Buddhist practice and Daniel and all the amazing people I practice Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism with in the SGI. It is such a life-encouraging way to live. I'm in the BDIC (Bachelor's Degree Individual Concentration) program. This means, if my proposal is accepted, I will be designing my own degree with a concentration in Sustainable Villages. The classes I am taking this semester are BDIC proposal writing, Human Ecology, Intro to Biology, Math 101, and People, Cultures, and Societies. So far I like all my professors well enough, and I am slowly getting to meet people. It's a bit challenging, since I'm a non-traditional transfer student who lives off-campus and works a lot more than most students (20-25 hrs/week). But it's alright, because I know I'll meet people eventually, and I have such great people in my life outside of school already. Besides BDIC my favorite class so far is Human Ecology. It feels the most relevant to what I'm actually doing with my future.
Daniel's Birthday was today. We didn't see each other much since he was at a retreat for the Young Men's Division of the Soka Gakkai International, and I went to an SGI meeting and then had to meet some classmates at school for a project. But the time we had together was really lovely. I'm so happy that my life is linked to him and that we continuously advance together.
Best fall wishes to everyone!-- Saera
Monday, September 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment