Life is busy, as usual! (don't I start every lingo entry that way?) Seussical opening night was Friday, and it's going well. It has a very short run - we close on the 21st. It's a fun show to be part of! If you have a facebook account, you can see the pictures I added to my profile. (if you're not on facebook yet, you should try it out...) I've enjoyed volunteering at This is the Place Heritage Park. I started out in the Jewkes home, where we teach about processing wool - picking, carding, spinning, dyeing. It was very interesting to learn, and fun to teach to visitors. Then, I moved to the one-room school house. We treat visitors as students - have them sit with ladies on one side of the room, gentlemen on the other. Then I explain the consequences for using your free agency unwisely (including standing in the corner, the use of the paddle, & the dunce cap). Once behavior expectations are established, I move on to teach spelling using the Deseret Alphabet (a phonetic alphabet used for 25 years in the Utah territory) and geography (the village is not in the US - we are still a territory), and dismiss them for the day. Last time I was there, the volunteer 'teaching' reminded the 'students' that tuition would be due soon, and told them what she would accept in lieu of money (wood chopping, fresh eggs, room and board for part of the year, etc.). It is a FUN site to be in! I only have a couple more weeks of volunteering before my vacation -and then real school starts...
It has been nice to have family visitors this summer. Sometimes I'm home when the Andersons hang out at Grandma's, and it's fun to read and play games with them. Travis and Alyssa like to visit me up in my room, and look at my books with me. (I'm glad my books are being put to good use!)
It was great to have Lucy and her kids here for a few days last month. I know Grandma really appreciates the projects Lucy does while she's here. This time, she put new liners on the kitchen cupboard shelves, helped us find some good deals at the DI and some garage sales, organized all the wedding photos of the grandkids into a couple collage frames for the 'grandchildren wall,' and put a up a swing in one of the trees. I know the Andersons and some of the Tomlinsons have enjoyed the swing. All the grandkids should come try it out! And while you're here, make sure your wedding picture is on the wall. I know Grandma is missing a few, and would love to put you up with everyone else.
Grandma and I have enjoyed playing "Ticket to Ride" with Rick and Reba and the Rankins. Fun game! Thanks, Rick. I'm looking forward to teaching it to my family some time.
Grandma and I are excited for our Nauvoo trip in a couple weeks. I've never been there, and I can't wait to see all the church history sites, as well as watch April perform.
Heather
Monday, July 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Heather, I am glad that you are there to keep Grandma company!
{Heidie}
Post a Comment